The saying “out of sight, out of mind” is a fact, especially when applied to history. People tend to forget the occurrences of the past when it’s not a part of their present, but it’s always important to stay grounded by remembering what humanity has been through to get to where we are today, and what more we have to go through to become better together. These photos from our shared past, no matter our ethnicity, nationality, or religion, are quite chilling.
1. The Beatles walking in the opposite direction.
2. A creepy-looking mannequin from an atomic bomb test site (mid-1950s).
3. A Russian spy laughs just before his execution in 1939 during the Winter War in Finland
4. The Statue of Liberty in the making in 1884 in Paris.
5. Helen Keller meets and feels Charlie Chaplin for the very first time.
6. The Mona Lisa being carefully brought back to the Louvre after World War II.
7. At the end of WWII, allied forces can be seen making fun of Hitler on what’s left of his balcony.
8. Col. Anthony Joseph Drexel Biddle, hand-to-hand combat expert, ordering trainee Marines to attempt to kill him with bayonets…and disarming them all.
9. Pablo Escobar and his son pose for a picture outside of the White House in the early 1980s.
10. Charles Duke brought a photo of himself, his son, and his wife, and it’s been on the moon ever since Apollo 16.
11. The Titanic survivors hopping onto the Carpathia in 1912.
12. Joseph Goebbels’ wedding day. Hitler was his best man and can be spotted behind him on the right.