How To Prevent Fires From Starting In Your Home!

SHARE

Advertisement

Everyone takes advantage of the night  while they sleep to fully charge their smartphones battery. The problem is that many lay the device on a pillow, or in general on the bed. This situation is very dangerous because during the recharging phase the battery can undergo a significant increase in temperature, which can cause a fire to ignite.

image/text credit: NewtonNHFireDepartment

Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This is can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter.

image/text credit: NewtonNHFireDepartment

The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your moblie devices.

Most people know the basics of fire safety at home, such as not leaving burning candles unattended and keeping a fire extinguisher on hand.

Here are a few more things you can do to prevent fires at home.(cooperators)

Have your heating system serviced regularly by a professional, including chimneys from wood-burning fireplaces. Clean around heat sources and keep dust and other flammable items away from ignition sources.

Remove the lint from your dryer filter after every use. A clogged filter and lint trap makes your dryer less efficient, reduces the airflow needed to keep heat from building up in the vents, and forces lint onto the heating coils. Also, never let your dryer run when you are out of the house or when you’re asleep.

Advertisement

 

Keep firewood, piles of leaves and trash away from the home. If a grass fire starts nearby, these items next to your home could easily become kindling. Never dump hot ashes inside or near your home; keep them in a metal container well away from your house and garage.

Avoid using outlet extenders or plug-in power bars: they can quickly overload an electrical circuit. Replace old, damaged or frayed appliance cords, and never force a three-pronged plug into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.

Store containers of cooking oil well away from the stove. When cooking with oil, never leave the stove unattended. To stop a grease fire, turn off the burner and place a lid on the pan to suffocate the flames, or pour on lots of baking soda. Never pour water on a grease fire or try to carry the pan outside; water splatters the grease and makes the fire bigger, and the pan will be much too hot to carry.

Consider using borrowed heat to keep outdoor pets warm.  During winter months, avoid using heat lamps, solar lamps, trouble lights, heated watering bowls or other such heated devices, which could lead to a potential fire. Borrowed heat involves providing warmth from a heating system located in a separate building. If this isn’t possible, consider bringing your pets inside.

Be sure to properly extinguish smoking materials. Smoking materials that are not properly extinguished can smoulder undetected for days before igniting a fire. Never discard smoking materials on the ground or in plant pots.

How to prevent house fires caused by electrical equipment

About two thirds of house fires involve electrical equipment in some way. But there are simple things you can do to prevent this. Watch our video to find out how to keep you and your loved ones safe.