Marang is a tropical fruit with a Latin name, Artocarpus Odoratissimus meaning sweet odour and taste.Marang is probably native to the Borneo in South East Asia. It is found growing there wild. This fruit is however, widely cultivated in the Philippines.
When the fruit is ripe and opened, it should be consumed as soon as possible because it oxidizes quite fast and loses its flavour. It is also packed with protein and fat. This is the fruit for athletes and very much compatible to the banana.
The large fruit is esteemed for the sweet, juicy, aromatic perianths surrounding the seeds, which can be eaten fresh or used as an ingredient in cakes.
Many people rate this fruit better in taste and flavour than jackfruit.
When the fruit is ripe and opened, it should be consumed as soon as possible because it oxidizes quite fast and loses its flavour. The seeds could be boiled or roasted and are quite edible too.
Here are the 5 marang health benefits one should know.
1. Marang is rich in protein, fat, carbohydrates, ash, calcium, phosphorous, iron, crude fiber, retinol, beta-carotene, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin, Vitamin A and C.
2. The marang fruit is a great source of energy as it contains lots of carbohydrates that eventually breaks down into glucose. It is also packed with protein and fat.
3. Marang is considered as the fruit for athletes. People with diabetes may avoid consuming the fruit
4. Marang can lower down one’s blood pressure and reduces risk of heart disease due to its high potassium content.
5. This fruit can calm down symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, promotes regular bowel movement, and can relieve or prevent constipation, since marang is rich in fiber.