Built to the same exemplary standards as the Bavarian company’’ famous flat-twins, the single-cylinder BMW first appeared in pre-war days. Indeed, BMW’s first new post-war model was a single-cylinder design – the 250cc R24 – which arrived in 1948.
By 1956, BMW’s quarter-liter luxury lightweight had evolved into the R26 that boasted a more powerful (15ps) engine, Earles-type leading-link front fork and a larger fuel tank among numerous improvements.
Considerably more expensive than home-grown 250s, the R26 was appealing to mature, discerning riders for whom quality of construction counted more than mere outright performance.
The R26 still has the original type-plate and has been fitted with a sportier front fender. There are complete vehicle registration documents from Germany. The motorcycle runs powerfully and reliably.