An air compressor is a device that converts power using an electric motor, diesel or gasoline engine into potential energy stored in pressurized air. Air compressors function based on a very simple principle. When the air is compressed, its volume decreases whereas the pressure increases.
In the process, atmospheric air is drawn in through an intake valve; more and more air is pulled inside a limited space mechanically by means of piston, impeller, or vane.//quora
Watch the video from learnchannel for more info:
Since the amount of pulled atmospheric air is increased in the receiver or storage tank, volume is reduced and pressure is raised automatically.
In simpler terms, free or atmospheric air is compressed after reducing its volume and at the same time, increasing its pressure.When tank pressure reaches its lower limit, the air compressor turns on again and re-pressurizes the tank.
This tutorial describes the function of an air compressor. Content:
- 0:25 Overview about the different types of air compressors
- 0:52 Working principle of a single stage piston compressor, also called reciprocating compressor
- 1:46 Functioning of a two-stage piston compressor
- 2:37 How a Diaphragm compressor works
- 3:13 Functioning of a rotary compressor also called Sliding vane compressor