The machine we present here is an older restoration. It is a fine running bike.Developed from the single-cylinder R20 of 1937/38, itself a development of BMW’s best-selling R2, the R23 was produced between 1938 and 1940, 8,021 examples being sold.
Powered by an overhead-valve engine producing 10 ps, the R23 came with a four-speed gearbox and featured shaft drive like the larger models.
Weight with a full tank of fuel was 297lbs and the top speed around 100 km/h. This R23 was completed on 22nd December 1939 and delivered to Nibbrig & Greeve in the Netherlands on 23rd July 1940.
The chassis, with the bolted tubular steel frame and the front telescopic fork, were adopted from the R20, but the most distinguishing feature of the R23 was the toolbox which was no longer attached but embedded into the fuel tank. The R 23 model is the original version of all previous 250 series BMW single-cylinder motorcycles with shaft drive that were built up to 1966; designed as easy-care and economical everyday vehicles.