Charles Terrot and Wilhelm Stücklen had founded a machinery factory in Cannstatt, Germany in 1862, and Terrot added a branch factory in Dijon in 1887, and in 1890 the Dijon factory added bicycles to its products.
In 1902 Terrot produced its first motorcycle at the Dijon factory and went on to produce a range of single-cylinder bikes with externally-sourced engines. A twin-cylinder bike followed in 1905, and Terrot went on to produce 500cc bikes for the French army in World War One.
From 1926 Terrot added a four-stroke engine of its own design and expanded its range, with French racing championships in the early 1930s demonstrating their capabilities.
After again supplying bikes for the French World War Two effort, Terrot was bought out by Peugeot in 1958. By 1961, production at the Dijon factory had been wound up. Today, the Terrot brand is remembered for forming a key part of French motorcycling history./classic-motorcycle