This reliable Douglas bears its first paint and runs fine. The front brake is dismantled – the front belt rim brake parts are included. It is equipped with an acetylene lighting set, BTH magneto, AMAC carburetor and a practical clutch.
The Bristol-based Douglas Foundry took up motorcycle production in 1907 with a machine powered by a horizontally-opposed twin, and the company would keep faith with this engine layout until it ceased motorcycle production in 1957. Fore-and-aft installation made for a slim machine with a low centre of gravity, and the design’s virtues were soon demonstrated in competition, Douglas machines taking first, second, and fourth places in the 1912 Junior TT in the Isle of Man.
Douglas were quick realise the advantages of the countershaft gearbox, its three-speed entries gaining the Team Prize in the 1914 Six Days Trial, a conspicuous success which resulted in the firm obtaining a wartime contract for the supply of military machines.
This Douglas CW has a 350cc sidevalve engine of ‘fixed head’ type with outside flywheel and magneto ignition, while the transmission comprises chain primary drive to a three-speed gearbox with chain final drive. The front fork is of the side-spring type while retardation is by means of v-block belt-rim brakes front and rear.